Tŷ Dyffryn is a new 50 apartment, extra care home, built in Ammanford, South Wales by T. Richard Jones (Betws) Ltd, for Family Housing Association, which opened in April 2016.
Every consideration was made to maximize the comfort and safety of residents in this beautiful but notoriously exposed and windy location, between the Brecon Beacons National Park and the golden sands of the Gower Peninsular.
This was partly achieved by the selection of high performance, uni_one® Standard™ composite windows and doors, from Uniform Architectural Ltd, Bristol. Manufactured from the highest quality engineered timber, which is veneered in a variety of hard wearing timber effects for durability, uni_one composite windows also have a protective barrier of aluminium externally. This provides the timber and residents, with all the weather protection necessary, whilst the double glazing and insulating timber help to maintain internal temperatures and reduce noise.
As can be seen from the photographs, the scheme consisted of a wide variety of special features, including:
- A number of 10 metre long, full 3 metre height, double glazed screens incorporating external doors;
- Fire escape doors with panic-bar release, designed to allow access from outside, only by a Fire Officer in case of emergency.
- Fully Secured by Design, the Police initiative for residential security
- Inward opening Tilt & Turn windows in the apartments, for draft free ventilation and easy cleaning of the external glass.
- Outward opening, top hung Casement windows in Communal areas.
- ‘Natural Oak’ finish internally to blend with the light stained timber finish woodwork décor and furniture, throughout.
- Designated windows are ‘automatic opening vents’ (AOV) to allow for purge ventilation and smoke release when necessary – as controlled by the fire alarm system.
Uniform Architectural Ltd is the UK division of the Uniform Group of companies based in Verona, Italy, with sales and manufacturing facilities throughout Europe and beyond. With World-wide sales approaching £40 million annually, Uniform only manufacture composite windows and components and have done so for over 25 years. This family owned company is passionate about window design and continuous improvement – and have introduced many highly innovative features to the range, including:
- Welded mitre corner joints on the external aluminium, to eliminate the joint altogether for much improved durability and appearance.
- The glass in all sashes is structurally bonded to the timber with Dow Corning structural silicone, which bonds and seals like a car windscreen for ultimate strength – which allows far larger opening sashes to be produced, which is a current design trend in UK.
- Engineered timber is always necessary to ensure dimensional stability of wood profiles in the close tolerances required between opening sash and frame – but the unavoidable finger joints and colour variance between laminations are generally regarded as unsightly. To overcome this, our profiles are uniquely veneered in ‘SILK’ a variety of highly durable, beautiful wood effects in consistent colours, all without blemishes.